Friday, August 3, 2007

Last Day of Summer

Can it be???? Yes, it is the last day of summer and I begin teacher meetings on Monday and the kiddos come on Thursday. This weeks go by soo fast and I end up wondering what all was accomplished.

I would really like my District to go to a modified year around.....1 or 2 weeks off in Oct., 3 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks in March and then only have 6-8 weeks off in the summer. Since the District's goal is higher test scores....how about less time away from the classroom???? 12 weeks is WAY TO LONG to be gone. Pass objections have been that teachers can't attend summer school.....we can get classes Online. Parents take long vacations in the summer....who can afford that anymore???? Most of our student population take vacations whenever parents come back from Iraq, usually 2 weeks long spread throughout the year.

I believe the data would actively support less time away from instruction...better performance on State testing.

No comments: